Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ingredients

Since we are done cooking in my class and the semester is almost over, I decided to turn to the examining of ingredients in some processed and manufactored foods. I have a lot of knowledge about things like high fructose corn syrup and fully and partially hydrogenated oils/fats (trans fats), but there are reoccuring ingredients in some of the 'natural' or 'organic' things I buy. Such as, what is high maltose corn syrup?? Is it really any different from high fructose corn syrup, because if so, I don't want to eat it anymore.
Here are some links I found more information from:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5412157_high-high-fructose-corn-syrup.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_maltose_corn_syrup_unhealthy_for_human_consumption
http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.com/2008/07/high-maltose-corn-syrup.html
And, if you want copies of the recipes I made with my students this semester and talked about on the blog, go to my wiki, Cooking is Fun:
http://cooking-is-fun.wikispaces.com/

3 comments:

  1. Leah,

    Great information about ingredients that are in processed / manufactured foods! I will be passing this information on to my health teachers - with the links that you suggested - because it will make for great discussion in our classes!!

    Doesn't sound like HFCS or HMCS are any better for us than the trans fat (partially hydrogenated oil) that they have been successful in eliminating from our diets.

    There's always something new on the horizon to talk about in diet and nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    I tend to turn a blind eye to the ingredients because I am scared of what I will find! I haven't even heard of high maltose corn syrup. Thanks for the links...maybe I better read up :)
    PS

    Nice segway into your wiki. I love that you are actively using it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, On the surface High Maltose sounds good but there just isn't enough data to know if it is really good for you.

    I am also like Amy just close my eyes and just eat it.

    ReplyDelete